Big Poker Site
Big Poker Site
Hazard Of New Fortunes
One of the most common beginners mistakes is playing to many hands. If you want to be successful poker player you should know when to fold.
There are 5 categories of pre-flop hands :
1.Best Hands - AA, KK, QQ, JJ, AK
These hands should almost always be played. You should raise and re-raise with them to jam the pot as much as possible
2. Good Hands - TT, 99, AQ, KQ
These hands should generally be played. These hands do best with less people, so you should raise to knock people out. Don`t re-raise with them.
3. Quite Good Hands - A-J, A-T, K-J, Q-J, 10-J
Treat these hands with caution. Don`t call a raise with them
4. Drawing Hands - 98, 87, 76 suited
95% of the time You will lose with these hands. But 5% of the time, these hands are amazing i.e. if you hit a straight or flush
5. Folding Hands - 27, 39, 49, etc
You should never play with these hands
Once you hit the flop, you will be in one of four situations:
1. You are winning but have a beatable hand, e.g. you hold A A and the board is K Q 7. You want to jam the pot to knock people out.
2. You have a best hand - e.g. you have A A and the board is A Q 7. You will win so there is no reason to knock people out too early. Start raising and re-raising at the turn.
3. You have the second-best hand - e.g. you have A J and the flop comes K J 4. In this case, treat the hand as a drawing hand or simply fold.
4. You have a drawing hand - you have two hearts and there are two on the board. For these hands, you must use outs and pot odds.
5. You have nothing - e.g. you have 9 9 and flop is K D 2. Just fold at the first bet.